Kemerton CourtEdit profile
Kemerton Court is the principal manor house of the village of Kemerton, near Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire. The manor was granted by King Henry III to Sir Robert de Musgrove (or Mucegros) in 1240. Since that time, apart from the brief period 1918”“1949, it has remained in the possession of his descendants and their relatives, passing through the families of Beauchamp, Lygon of Madresfield, Parsons and Darby. The current owner is 23rd in direct descent from Sir Robert de Musgrove. A celebrated 15th century owner was John Beauchamp, 1st Baron Beauchamp of Powick, Lord High Treasurer of England. The house is built of local Cotswold stone, dating from the late 16th century onwards. In the early 18th century a 9-bay baroque façade of some elegance was added by the squire, John Parsons III (1649”“1722). Thomas White of Worcester, has been suggested as the architect. Kemerton Court is set in parkland and is surrounded by a farming estate of around 1,250 acres (5.1 km 2). It is owned by conservationist Adrian Darby OBE, president of Plantlife and former chairman of the RSPB. He is married to Lady Meriel Darby, daughter of the former Prime Minister, Alec Douglas-Home, 14th Earl of Home, who was a frequent visitor to the Court.