Kelmscott ManorEdit profile
Kelmscott Manor is a limestone house in the Cotswold village of Kelmscott, Oxfordshire, England. The handsome manor house is situated close to the river Thames, and it is frequently flooded. It dates from around 1570, with a late 17th-century wing, and was the country home of the writer, designer and socialist William Morris from 1871 until his death in 1896. Today it is owned by the Society of Antiquaries of London, and is open to the public on Wednesdays during the summer. The nearest town is Faringdon in the Vale of the White Horse. Morris drew great inspiration from the unspoilt authenticity of the house's architecture and craftsmanship, and its organic relationship with its setting. The Manor is featured in Morris' work News from Nowhere. The internal decor is substantially that of Morris, and includes many of his famous textile patterns as well as much of his furniture. He named his London residence " Kelmscott House " and the private press that he founded " the Kelmscott Press " after Kelmscott. He was buried in the village churchyard in a tomb designed by his friend and colleague Philip Webb.