Kelly/Shorts StadiumEdit profile
Kelly/Shorts Stadium is a stadium in Mount Pleasant, Michigan. It is primarily used for football, and is the home field of the Central Michigan University Chippewas. The stadium opened in 1972 and holds 30,255 spectators. It is located on the southeast part of campus, along with most of the other athletic facilities. The stadium was originally named Perry Shorts Stadium in honor of R. Perry Shorts, a Saginaw banker who was a 1900 graduate and a generous donor. The stadium, which originally seated approximately 20,000 spectators, was dedicated on November 4, 1972 when the Chippewas defeated Illinois State University, 28-21, before a Homecoming crowd of nearly 17,000. In June of 1983, the CMU Board of Trustees voted to rename the facility Kelly/Shorts Stadium in honor of Kenneth "Bill" Kelly, who coached the Chippewa football team to a 91-58-2 record from 1951 to 1966. A $28 million expansion project following the 1997 season added 10,000 seats to the stadium, bringing the stadium's capacity up to its current level. A two-tiered press box, locker room and nine guest suites also were included in the expansion project. The original artificial turf, the first to be used in the state of Michigan, has been replaced three times, most recently in 2004 when it was changed from Astroturf to FieldTurf. Permanent lights were installed before the 2006 season, making it the last stadium in the Mid-American Conference to do so. The stadium has also been used as a site for other events, including high school football playoff games, concerts, and graduation ceremonies.