Kelly College
Kelly College is a coeducational independent school situated in the outskirts of Tavistock, Devon, with around 350 students ranging from ages 11 to 18; there is an associated preparatory school for primary school children, Kelly College Preparatory School, nearby. The college has eight hectares of landscaped grounds, including playing fields, set on the edge of Dartmoor and including a stretch of the River Tavy, and five separate boarding houses, each with its own facilities. The college enjoys a good academic reputation, and is renowned for its strength in sports, particularly swimming and rugby. It is at present under the headship of Mr. Graham Hawley who joined the college in August 2008, succeeding Mr. Mark Steed. The college's motto is fortiter occupa portum - "defend your harbours bravely". This is a quotation from Ode XIV from the first Book of Odes by Horace. (1) It offers many extracurricular activities for its students, such as the CCF ( Combined Cadet Force) in addition to a wide variety of sports and academic subjects.

The school was founded in 1877 after Admiral Benedictus Marwood Kelly left the great part of his real and personal estate to Trustees, founding a charity which he directed should be called "The Kelly College", which should be for the education of the "sons of Naval officers and other gentlemen". The school opened in October 1877, under the Headmastership of Robert West Taylor, late fellow of St John's College, Cambridge, with twelve boys on the school roll. It became co-educational in the late 1970s, initially with entrants into the Sixth Form, and in September 1991 welcomed thirty one girls into the First Form, fourteen of whom became Kelly Veterans in 1998. The governing body have not yet decided whether to follow many other independent schools and a fast growing number of successful state schools by offering the International Baccalaureate or the Pre-U as the sixth form option.

The School has six houses; School House (founded 1877), Courtenay House (founded 1901), Newton House (founded 1939), Conway House (founded 1975), Marwood House (founded 1983), Russell House (founded 2002). Conway House is a mixed house for students in years 7 and 8; the remaining houses are for students in years 9 to Upper Sixth.


2 photos