Keaney Gymnasium

Keaney Gymnasium is a multi-purpose arena in Kingston, Rhode Island, USA. The arena opened in 1953 and currently seats 3,385 (plus room for 500 standing-room only spectators). It was home to the University of Rhode Island Rams men's basketball team before it moved to Ryan Center in 2002. Currently, the volleyball team calls Keaney home. The arena was named in honor of Rhode Island football coach, chemistry professor, basketball coach and athletic director Frank Keaney. Seating is in a two-tiered arrangement, with the top tier being "U"-shaped. At the west end of the arena there are bleachers in the former stage area of the building. The arena hosted the NCAA Basketball Tournament first round games for three years, from 1967 to 1969.

It was built to replace Rodman Hall, a castle-like building built in 1928, located across the street from the present library, which is used for community planning offices and the school of library sciences.


2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media, uploaded a media file and added a digital reference
    csiy keaney gym1
    about 4 years ago via