Jubilee BuildingEdit profile
The Jubilee Building is part of the Western Australian Museum in Perth, Western Australia, Australia. It was opened in 1897 and was designed by George Temple-Poole and his 1895 successor John Grainger in the Victorian Byzantine style.
The building was originally planned as a combined library, museum and art gallery to be sited in St Georges Terrace, Perth to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887. However, by 1894 enthusiasm for the project had waned and the St Georges Terrace site had been abandoned. After several more years of government procrastination, a site was finally selected near the corner of James Street and Beaufort Street to adjoin several other buildings including the old Perth Gaol which was being used for museum displays and storage.
Construction started in 1897 with the museum moving into the basement prior to completion. It was completed in 1899.