Joy Gas StationsEdit profile
Joy Gas Stations operated uniquely designed stations in Toronto, Canada, in the 1930s for the Joy Oil Company Limited. The stations are examples of the Château style of architecture, a style that was promoted as a uniquely Canadian architectural form in the 1930s.
Of the 16 stations built in the Greater Toronto Area, only one station survives today, at Lake Shore Boulevard West and Windermere Avenue built in 1937. In April 2007, the City of Toronto moved part of the station from the site to a location across the street. The station was restored and will be repurposed as an eatery and tourist information centre.Lost stations
The Joy Gas Station at 1947 Bloor Street West was built in 1937 was demolished in 1986 and on Kingston Road in Scarborough has since been demolished.
A Joy Gas Station at 575 Lake Shore Boulevard West was demolished in 1977 and replaced with the current Esso station.
A Joy Gas Station in Scarborough was demolished in the 1990s.