John Wood MansionEdit profile
John Wood Mansion was built in 1835 at the behest of Illinois Governor John Wood. The Greek Revival home is located in Quincy, Illinois which is in Adams County. The mansion was constructed by John Cleaveland and endured a move from its original site in 1864 to its current location. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on April 17, 1970 and today is home to the Historical Society of Quincy and Adams County. John Wood Mansion features four large Doric columns, four large chimneys and many ornate details.
The house is open for public tours from April through October. The Society also offers educational tours of the house to all local 3rd and 4th grade students each year, as well as special candlelight tours in December.