The John Whipple House is a historic colonial house and National Historic Landmark in Ipswich, Massachusetts. Built in the seventeenth century, the house has been open to the public as a museum since 1899.
The oldest portion of the farm house was allegedly built around 1642 possibly for John Fawn and sold shortly after to Captain John Whipple, a British soldier and entrepreneur (some speculated that Fawn may have built the house as early as 1638). A large addition to the house was purportedly constructed later in the seventeenth century. The house features oak, pine and chestnut framework. The house was sold several times and used as housing for mill workers in the late nineteenth century. In 1898 the Ipswich Historical Society purchased the house, restored it, and opened it as a museum and headquarters the next year. The house was later moved from its original downtown location on Market and Saltonstall Streets to its present location. In 1953 the current gables and casement windows were re-added to the structure as part of another extensive renovation. The John Whipple House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966. In 2005 a dendrochronology survey estimated that the earliest surviving part of the house was actually built in 1677. Currently, the house is run by the Ipswich Historical Society.