John W. Weeks Bridge

The John W. Weeks Bridge, usually called the Weeks Footbridge (or simply Weeks Bridge), is a pedestrian bridge over the Charles River connecting Cambridge, Massachusetts with the Allston section of Boston. John W. Weeks was a longtime U.S. Representative, and later Senator, from Massachusetts, as well as Secretary of War in the Harding and Coolidge administrations.

Weeks Bridge was opened in 1927 to carry pedestrian traffic between the Harvard Business School's newly-built Allston campus and the Business School's former home, Harvard's traditional campus in Cambridge. Its concrete underbelly conceals tentacles of the University's steam, electrical, and communications networks.

The bridge is a popular vantage point from which to enjoy the Head of the Charles Regatta. An abrupt bend in the river prompts most boats to crowd through the bridge's center span, and collisions have occurred when coxswains cannot make themselves heard above the cheering of the crowd.

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media, updated a digital reference, uploaded a media file and added a digital reference
    bslz weeks footbridge cambridge2c ma
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator