John Philip Sousa BridgeEdit profile
The John Philip Sousa Bridge is a bridge that carries Pennsylvania Avenue across the Anacostia River in Washington, D.C., U.S.A. It has partial interchanges with unsigned Interstate 695 at its western terminus and with District of Columbia Route 295 at its eastern terminus.
The first bridge at that location was built in 1804. An iron, underslung truss bridge on masonry piers was built between 1887 and 1890. The same masonry piers were used in the construction of the present bridge, which was named after John Philip Sousa in 1939 and completed in 1940.
Sousa, the famed conductor and composer of patriotic marches, is buried in Congressional Cemetery in Southeast Washington, not far from the bridge.
Coordinates: 38°52′37″N 76°58′40″W / 38.8769°N 76.9779°W / 38.8769; -76.9779