John Nance Garner HouseEdit profile
The John Nance Garner House, also known as John Nance Garner Museum or the Ettie R. Garner Memorial Building, located in Uvalde, Texas, USA was the home of American Vice-President John Nance Garner and his wife Ettie from 1920 until Ettie's death in 1948. Garner lived there until 1952, when he moved to a small cottage on the property and donated the main house to the city of Uvalde as a memorial to Mrs. Garner. It housed the community library until about 1973, and now functions as a museum documenting Garner's life and career.
The structure is a two-story H-shaped tan brick home with dark wood shingles highlighted by a row of red clay tiles.
The main house and cottage were designated a National Historic Landmark and listed on the National Register of Historic Places on December 8, 1976. On November 20, 1999, the City of Uvalde transferred ownership of the Garner Home and Museum to the University of Texas at Austin, whereupon it became a division of the University’s Center for American History.
It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1976.