John N. Bagley HouseEdit profile
The John N. Bagley House is a private residence located at 2921 East Jefferson Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1985.Architecture
The Bagley House is a two-and-one-half-story French Renaissance Revival mansion built of dark brick and brown stone. Evidence has revealed that the house was designed in the French Renaissance Revival style by the Detroit firm Rogers and MacFarlane, while it was previously believed to have been designed by Shepley, Rutan, and Coolidge of the Richardson firm since the family had hired Richardson to design the Bagley Memorial Fountain. The French Renaissance Revival style house has some similar application of materials of H. H. Richardsonian Romanesque. It has a massive gable roof and a conical-roofed tower with conical roof. The entrance is set into a round arch and the roof dormer features a bay window. The facade contains multiple surface and window treatment, including sculptural elements by Julius Melchers around the entrance.Significance
The house, built in 1889 for John N. Bagley, son of former Michigan governor John J. Bagley. is among the oldest surviving nineteenth century French Renaissance Revival mansions in Detroit. The Bagley family commissioned the Bagley Memorial Fountain, designed in Romanesque Revival architecture, the only remaining work by Henry Hobson Richardson in the Detroit area. This house is still one of the finest of Detroit's Richardsonian Romanesque houses.