John Marshall House
The John Marshall House is the home of Supreme Court Chief Justice John Marshall, located in Richmond, Virginia. Marshall was appointed to the court in 1801 by John Adams and served for the rest of his life, writing such influential decisions as Marbury v. Madison (1803) and McCulloch v. Maryland (1819). Built in 1790, the house was home to Marshall, his wife Mary Willis Ambler Marshall (known within the family as Polly), and their six children. Marshall lived at the house until his death in 1835. The house is a Federal-style brick building featuring a dining room, parlor, and large parlor/dining room on the first floor and three bedchambers on the second. It was originally surrounded by an outbuildings including a law office, kitchen, laundry, and stables and sat on a full city block in Richmond's fashionable Court End residential neighborhood. Marshall's neighbors included the attorney John Wickham, who defended Aaron Burr in Burr's infamous treason trial.

Preservation
In 1910, Marshall's granddaughters gave the house to the City of Richmond, who planned to tear it down to build the John Marshall High School. Local preservationists stepped in, however, and the house was saved. In 1911, the house was placed into the perpetual care of the Preservation Virginia who have operated it as a historic house museum ever since. The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1960. In 2005, in honor of the 250th anniversary of John Marshall's birth and in recognition of more than 80 years of stewardship responsibility, the house was deeded to the APVA by the City of Richmond. Since then the house has undergone major restoration work including a new roof, repainting to the original color scheme, and other physical and mechanical upgrades. The John Marshall House is open seasonally for drop-in tours and throughout the year by appointment and for special events.

Building Activity

  • Kiril Georgiev
    Kiril Georgiev activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com