John Cabot HouseEdit profile
The John Cabot House (1781) is a historic house located at 117 Cabot Street, Beverly, Massachusetts. It was one of the earliest brick houses in Beverly. The house is now owned by the Beverly Historical Society and open to the public most days of the week. The house was built for ship-owner and privateer John Cabot, who lived there from 1781 to 1802. (The Cabots were a leading family in Beverly, active in political affairs, sea commerce, privateering and banking. Their primacy was largely due to John Cabot. By the end of the American Revolution in 1783, Cabot was exploring new European markets. In that year, his ship Buccannier touched at several Baltic ports and finally reached the Russian port of Saint Petersburg. His was the first American vessel to trade there.) In 1802 it became the first office of the Beverly Bank, the tenth oldest bank in America, with John Cabot as one of its seven original directors. The building is currently home to the Beverly Historical Society. Besides period rooms, the Cabot House now features maritime, military and children's exhibits as well as major changing exhibits.