Jing'an Temple

Jing'an Temple (Chinese: 静安寺; pinyin: Jìng'ānsì; literally "Temple of Peace and Tranquility") is a Buddhist temple on West Nanjing Road, in Jing'an District, Shanghai, China.


The first temple was built in 247 AD, at the time of the Kingdom of Wu, during the Three Kingdoms period. Originally located beside Suzhou Creek, it was relocated to its current site in 1216 during the Song Dynasty. The current temple was rebuilt once in the Qing Dynasty. It is currently undergoing renovation.

Features include

Three Southern-style main halls, each with its own courtyard, dating from the most recent reconstruction (1880):

  • Hall of Heavenly Kings
  • Hall of the Three Saints
  • Hall of Virtuous Works
  • The Precious Hall of the Great Hero, or main hall
  • To the east of the main hall is the Guanyin Hall. In the center of the hall is a statue of the goddess made out of camphor wood. Standing on a lotus-shaped base, it is 6.2 meters tall and weighs 5 tons
  • Opposite to the hall is the Jade Buddha Hall, where a 3.8-meter jade Buddha sits in the center. It is the largest sitting jade Buddha statue in the country
  • Abbot's Chambers
  • Ming Dynasty copper bell (Hongwu Bell), weighing 3.5 tons
  • Stone Buddhas from the Southern and Northern Dynasties period (420-589 AD)

Jing'an Temple can be reached by taking Shanghai Metro Line 2 to Jing'an Temple station.

Entrance Fee is 30 RMB (April 2010)

Open Time:8:00-17:00, except during Buddhist holidays

Building Activity

  • Louie song
    Louie song commented
    one of the place have to go in shanghai
    about 5 years ago via Mobile
  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com