Jesus College, Cambridge

Jesus College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge, England. The College was founded in 1496 on the site of a Benedictine nunnery by John Alcock, then Bishop of Ely. It has been traditionally believed that the nunnery was turned into a college because the nunnery had gained a reputation for licentiousness. The College's full name is "The College of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint John the Evangelist and the glorious Virgin Saint Radegund, near Cambridge". Its common name comes from the name of its Chapel, Jesus Chapel. Founded at the beginning of the 12th century, the Chapel is the oldest university building in Cambridge still in use. When founded in 1496, the College consisted of buildings taken over from the Nunnery of St Mary and St Radegund: namely the Chapel, and the Cloister attached to it; the nuns’ refectory, which became the college hall; and the former lodging of the prioress, which became the Master’s Lodge. This set of buildings remains the core of the College to this day, and this accounts for its distinctly monastic and non-collegiate character, which sets it apart from other Cambridge colleges. A library was soon added, and the Chapel was considerably modified and reduced in scale by Alcock. The 500th anniversary of the College’s foundation in 1996 saw the completion of the new Quincentenary Library, designed by Eldred Evans and David Shalev, which was shortly followed by a new accommodation building. The College is also known for its grounds, which are unlike those of Cambridge’s other old colleges, being much more spacious. Set back from Jesus Lane, all the courts are open on at least one side (with the exception of the Cloister). The main entrance to the College is a walled passage, called the “Chimney” (derived from the French word chemin). Jesus College is one of the few colleges to allow anyone to walk on the lawns of its courts, with the exception of First Court, Cloister Court and those that are burial sites for deceased nuns from the original nunnery. However, in common with other Cambridge colleges, this privilege is only extended during the summer term. Jesus gets far fewer tourists than most other colleges due to being slightly away from the centre. Professor Robert Mair, Professor of Geotechnical Engineering in the University, has been Master of Jesus since March 2001. The cockerel is a symbol of Jesus College, after the surname of its founder, Alcock. Jesus College has an endowment of approximately £236,404,421, making it Cambridge’s third wealthiest college.

College Grace
The following Latin grace is recited before formal dinners at Jesus College (Oratio Ante Cibum): Oculi omnium in te aspiciunt et in te sperant, Deus. Tu das illis escam tempore opportuno. Aperis tu manus, et imples omne animal benedictione tua. Benedic nobis, Domine, et omnibus tuis donis, quae ex larga liberalitate tua sumpturi sumus, per Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum. Deus est caritas. Qui manet in caritate manet in Deo et Deus in illo. Sit Deus in nobis, et nos maneamus in illo. Translated into English, the Oratio Ante Cibum reads as follows: The eyes of all look towards you and trust in you, O God. You give them food in due season. You open your hands and fill every living thing with your blessing. Bless us, O Lord, and all your gifts, which through your great generosity we are about to receive, through Jesus Christ our Lord. God is love. He who abides in love abides in God and God in him. May God be in us and may we abide in him. The following Oratio Post Cibum is sometimes read after dinner: Deus pacis et dilectionis semper maneat nobiscum; tu autem, Domine, miserere nostrum. Agimus tibi gratias pro omnibus tuis beneficiis, qui vivis et regnas, Deus, per omnia saecula saeculorum. Deus conservet Ecclesiam, Reginam, regnum, senatum, et pacem. Translated into English, the Orato Post Cibum reads as follows: May the God of peace and love always abide with us; have mercy upon us, O Lord. We thank you for all your mercies, who live and reign, God, for ever and ever. May God preserve the Church, the Queen, the realm, Parliament and peace. However after a normal formal dinner in Hall the following short responsory is usually used: The Presiding Fellow: Laus Deo (Praise be to God) The College: Deo Gracias (Thanks be to God)

Chapel
Although Jesus College was not founded until 1496, it is unique in as much as the Chapel and other buildings date from the 12th and 13th centuries. Originally it was the Benedictine Convent of St Mary and St Radegund, which was dissolved by John Alcock, Bishop of Ely. The Chapel was founded in 1157 and took until 1245 to complete. The original structure was cruciform in shape, and the nave had both north and south aisles. A high, pitched roof was surmounted by a belfry and steeple; this collapsed in 1277. The Chapel was also used as the parish church of St Radegund. Twice the Chapel was ravaged by fire, 1313 and 1376. When the College took over the precincts, the parish was renamed after the College as Jesus parish, with the churchyard still being used for burials. This however, was short lived, as by the middle of the 16th century Jesus parish was absorbed into that of All Saints. The Chapel was much modified, with the western two thirds of the nave being converted into college rooms. The College maintains two choirs. Mark Williams, former assistant organist at St Paul's Cathedral has been the Director of Music since September 2009, following the departure of Daniel Hyde to Magdalen College, Oxford, himself replacing Dr Bill Ives.
  • Jesus College Choir consists of male and female students and sings regular services twice a week in the Chapel. One of the leading choirs in Cambridge, its singers are mainly drawn from the College's own students, but also includes singers from a number of other colleges.
  • Jesus College Chapel Choir consists of around 20 choristers combined with the gentlemen of the College Choir, and also sings services twice a week in the Chapel. It is unique among Cambridge college choirs in that the choristers are volunteers: that is, they are drawn from schools around the city, and do not attend a particular choir school.


Misericords
The misericords were created by Pugin between 1849 and 1853, and used fragments of the misericords dating from 1500, which had been preserved in the Master's Lodge as templates, from then on.

Notable alumni

Geoff Hoon, former Defence Secretary, Transport Secretary, Leader of the House of Commons and Labour Party Chief Whip. College name The College of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint John the Evangelist and the glorious Virgin Saint Radegund, near Cambridge Named after Mary (mother of Jesus), John the Evangelist, Princess Radegund, Jesus Lane and All Saints' Parish Established 1496 Admittance Men and women Master Prof. Robert Mair Undergraduates 489 Graduates 270 Sister college Jesus College, Oxford Location Jesus Lane ( map) Facias prosperum iter ( Latin, "Good going to thee") College website Boat Club website Name Birth Death Career Thomas Cranmer 1489 1556 Archbishop of Canterbury John Bale 1495 1563 Bishop of Ossory Thomas Goodrich 1494 1554 Bishop of Ely Arthur Golding 1535/6 1606 Protestant propagandist Fulke Greville, 1st Baron Brooke 1554 1628 Elizabethan poet, playwright, statesman and biographer of Sir Philip Sidney Thomas Beard 1632 English clergyman, theologian, Puritan and schoolmaster of Oliver Cromwell. Francis Higginson 1588 1630 Early Puritan minister in Colonial New England, and first minister of Salem, Massachusetts. Richard Sterne 1596 1683 Archbishop of York, Master of Jesus College (1634) John Eliot 1604 1690 Puritan missionary who translated the Bible into Algonquian. Sir Richard Fanshawe, 1st Baronet 1608 1666 English diplomat, translator and poet. William Beale 1784 1854 Master of Jesus College (1632) John Flamsteed 1646 1719 First Astronomer Royal Thomas Herring 1693 1757 Archbishop of Canterbury Matthew Hutton 1693 1758 Archbishop of Canterbury John Jortin 1698 1770 Ecclesiastical historian David Hartley 1705 1757 Philosopher Laurence Sterne 1713 1768 Novelist Henry Venn 1725 1797 A leader of the Evangelical movement in the Church of England Gilbert Wakefield 1756 1801 Principal of two nonconformist academies Robert Malthus 1766 1834 Population theorist William Otter 1768 1840 First Principal of King's College London Samuel Taylor Coleridge 1772 1834 Poet, critic and philosopher William Percy Carpmael 1853 1936 Founder of the Barbarians rugby team Steve Fairbairn 1862 1938 Rowing coach Sir Arthur Quiller-Couch 1863 1944 Novelist and critic Sir Harold Scott 1887 1969 Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police Service from 1945 to 1953 E. M. W. Tillyard 1889 1962 Literary critic, master (1945”“1959) Alistair Cooke 1908 2004 Broadcaster Jacob Bronowski 1908 1974 Broadcaster James Reeves 1909 1978 Author and literary critic Don Siegel 1912 1991 American film director and producer David Clive Crosbie Trench 1915 1988 24th Governor of Hong Kong Peter Mitchell 1920 1992 Biochemist Sir John Jardine Paterson 1920 2000 Business man in India Raymond Williams 1921 1988 Literary and cultural critic Edwin Boston 1924 1986 clergyman and steam enthusiast J.B. Steane 1928 Music critic and musicologist. David McCutchion 1930 1972 Academic Michael Podro 1931 2008 Art historian Richard Hey Lloyd 1933 Organist and composer Peter G. Fletcher 1936 1996 British conductor and author Lord Renfrew 1937 Archaeologist Lisa Jardine 1944 Literary critic Roger Scruton 1944 Philosopher David Hare 1947 Playwright Simon Hornblower 1949 Prof of Classics and Grote Prof of Ancient History UCL Anthony Wilson 1950 2007 Journalist, founder of Factory Records Bernard Silverman 1952 British statistician and Master of St Peter's College, Oxford. Geoff Hoon 1953 former Secretary of State for Defence, Chief Whip, Secretary to the Treasury and Secretary of State for Transport Anthony Julius 1956 Prominent British lawyer. Andrew Mitchell 1956 Secretary of State for International Development (from May 2010) Nick Hornby 1957 Novelist and journalist Shaun Woodward 1958 British politician, former Secretary of State for Northern Ireland John Baron 1959 British Conservative politician Kimberley Rew 1951 Songwriter and guitarist Glen Goei 1962 Film and theatre director Quentin Letts 1963 British journalist, currently writing for the New Statesman . Prince Edward 1964 Earl of Wessex James Wood 1965 Literary critic Alexis Taylor Hot Chip musician, composer, singer Somnath Chatterjee 1929 Speaker of Lok Sabha Andrew Mitchell, Conservative MP, Secretary of State for International Development and Privy Counsellor. Nick Hornby, English novelist, author of About a Boy . See also Category:Alumni of Jesus College, Cambridge

Masters and Fellows of Jesus College
The following persons have served as Master of Jesus College, Cambridge: Richard Sterne, Archbishop of York and Master from 1634 to 1644. Henry Arthur Morgan was Master of the College from 1885 to 1912. Edmund Henry Morgan, former Fellow of the College, published in Vanity Fair , 1889.

See List of Masters of Jesus College, Cambridge See also Category: Fellows of Jesus College, Cambridge

Name Start End Notes William Chubbes 1497 1505 John Eccleston 1505 1516 Thomas Alcock 1516 1516 William Capon 1516 1546 John Reston 1546 1551 Edmund Pierpoint 1551 1557 John Fuller 1557 1558 Thomas Redman 1559 1560 Edward Gascoyne 1560 1562 John Lakin 1562 1563 Thomas Ithell 1563 1579 John Bell 1579 1589 John Duport 1590 1617 Roger Andrewes 1618 1632 The brother of theologian Lancelot Andrewes William Beale 1632 1634 Richard Sterne, Archbishop of York 1634 1644 Thomas Young 1644 1650 John Worthington 1650 1660 Richard Sterne 1660 1660 Took over as Master for second time until his death. John Pearson 1660 1662 Joseph Beaumont 1662 1663 Edmund Boldero 1663 1679 Humphrey Gower 1679 1679 William Saywell 1679 1701 Charles Ashton 1701 1752 Philip Yonge 1752 1758 Lynford Caryl 1758 1781 Richard Beadon 1781 1789 William Pearce 1789 1820 William French 1820 1849 George Elwes Corrie 1849 1885 Henry Arthur Morgan 1885 1912 Arthur Gray 1912 1940 Wynfrid Laurence Henry Duckworth 1940 1945 Eustace Mandeville Wetenhall Tillyard 1945 1959 Denys Lionel Page 1959 1973 Alan Cottrell 1973 1986 Colin Renfrew 1986 1996 David Crighton 1997 2000 Robert Mair 2001 2011 Ian White 2011

Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com