Jenny Lake Ranger Station Historic DistrictEdit profile
The Jenny Lake Ranger Station Historic District comprises an area that was the main point of visitor contact in Grand Teton National Park from the 1930's to 1960. Located near Jenny Lake, the buildings are a mixture of purpose-built structures and existing buildings that were adapted for use by the National Park Service. The ranger station was built as a cabin by Lee Mangus north of Moose, Wyoming about 1925 and was moved and rebuilt around 1930 for Park Service use. A store was built by a concessioner, and comfort stations were built to Park Service standard plans. All buildings were planned to the prevailing National Park Service Rustic style, although the ranger station and the photo shop were built from parts of demolished buildings located elsewhere in the park. The ranger station was reconstructed from a cabin originally built by Lee Manges about 1925 which was acquired by the National Park Service in 1930. The Crandall Photo Studio was built elsewhere in 1925-26 and moved to the Jenny Lake site after Crandall's property was purchased by the Park Service. The comfort stations were built in 1934 and 1935 from Park Service standard plans. The district still serves as a point of visitor contact, but was superseded as the primary contact center with the construction of Mission 66 facilities at Moose, which themselves have recently been replaced by newer facilities.