Jenison Fieldhouse

Jenison Fieldhouse is a 10,004 seat, later reduced to 6,000 seat multi-purpose arena in East Lansing, Michigan. The arena opened in 1940 and was named for alumnus Frederick Cowles Jenison, whose estate, along with PWAP funds, funded the building. It was home to the Michigan State University Spartans basketball team before they moved to Breslin Center in the fall of 1989.


The venue is most famous for its 1978-1979 National Championship Basketball team, which included Earvin "Magic" Johnson, and was coached by Jud Heathcote. It also hosted the 1963 NCAA basketball tournament Mideast Regionals. The three-story building's architecture is late art deco, with a monumental entrance that includes three reliefs of a baseball player, basketball player, and football player above the three main doors.


Jenison Fieldhouse is currently where the women's volleyball, gymnastics, wrestling, and indoor track and field teams compete. It also contains Athletic Department offices.


Coordinates: 42°43′51″N 84°29′24″W / 42.730843°N 84.489928°W / 42.730843; -84.489928

Media

2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media and uploaded a media file
    rlcr msujenisonfieldhousemarch2006
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com