Jefferson Intermediate School

Jefferson Intermediate School is a school building located at 938 Selden Avenue in Detroit, Michigan. It is also known as Jefferson Junior High School or Jefferson School. The school was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.

History

The site for on which the Jefferson School sits was purchased by the city of Detroit in 1869, and an elementary school was built on the property in 1873 at a cost of $60,000. In 1915, additional lots to the west were purchased for a playground. However, the old school was considered dilapidated, and in 1922, the city tore it down and began construction of the building now occupying the site. This building was completed in 1923.

During the 1950s, the Lodge Freeway was constructed, running directly to the west of the school through what was once the playground. As of 2008, the building has been rehabilitated and now serves as a charter school.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com