Janice Peaslee BridgeEdit profile
The Janice Peaslee Bridge (formerly known as the Maidstone-Stratford Hollow Bridge) is a pin-connected steel & wrought iron Pratt through truss bridge crossing the Connecticut River between Stratford, New Hampshire and Maidstone, Vermont.History and construction
The bridge was originally completed in 1893 by the Berlin Iron Bridge Company, East Berlin, Connecticut. It was closed "temporarily" in 1990 for safety reasons. Due to the perseverance of Vermont State Representative Janice L. Peaslee, it underwent a total rebuild which was completed in 2005.
Since the bridge was resurrected as a result of Janice Peaslee's efforts, the bridge was renamed for her in 2006.
In order to facilitate reconstruction of the abutments, the bridge was placed on land for repairs while the foundations were rebuilt and a new approach was created.Image gallery
Original maker's mark circa 1893
New maker's mark circa 2005