Jamestown Windmill

The Jamestown Windmill is a smock mill in Jamestown, Rhode Island within the Windmill Hill Historic District on North Road north of Weeden Lane.

The 30-foot (9.1 m) high windmill was built in 1787 to grind corn after the British occupational forces destroyed the previous mill around the time of the Battle of Rhode Island. The windmill operated until 1895. Several renovations were done in the 20th century and the mill is presently maintained by the Jamestown Historical Society. The site was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 as building #73000057.

  • Windmill viewed from the grounds of the Friends Meeting House (Jamestown, Rhode Island)

  • Friends Meeting House (Jamestown, Rhode Island) with Jamestown Windmill in background

References and external links
  • Jamestown tourism information - including hours of the mill
  • National Historic Register
  • "Historic and Architectural Resources of Jamestown, Rhode Island," (Rhode Island Historical Preservation & Heritage Commission)

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com