Jackknife Bascule Bridge

The Jackknife (or Jack-knife) Bascule Bridge spanning the Kaministiquia River at Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada, links the city to Mission Island, one of two islands in the Kaministiquia River delta. The bridge was built by the Canadian Pacific Railway between August 1910 and April 1913. The contractor for the abutments and piers was Alexander Charles Stewart (1867–1944). The bridge had two decks, the lower deck (still in use) for trains and the upper deck (removed in 2004) for vehicular road traffic.

The vehicular portion of the bridge was replaced by the Island Drive Bridge, which connects neighbouring McKellar Island to the mainland, in 2003. The connecting roadways and upper deck of the Jackknife Bridge were dismantled in 2004, however the lower deck continues to function as the only rail link to the islands.


2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 8 media, updated a digital reference, uploaded a media file and added a digital reference
    zyso jackknife bascule bridge thunder bay ontario
    about 4 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator