Jack's Creek Covered BridgeEdit profile
The Jack's Creek Covered Bridge, also known as the Upper Covered Bridge, is a county owned wooden covered bridge that spans the Smith River in Patrick County, Virginia, United States. It is located on Jack's Creek Road (SR 615) off State Route 8 just south of the community of Woolwine, about 11 miles (18 kilometers) north of Stuart. Coordinates are 36°45′51.14″N 80°16′23.98″W / 36.7642056°N 80.2733278°W / 36.7642056; -80.2733278 (36.764206, -80.273328).
Built in 1914 (some sources say 1916), the 48-foot (15-meter) bridge is a Queen-post truss construction over a single span. Its WGCB number is 46-68-02. The Jack's Creek Covered Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on May 22, 1973. It is one of two historic covered bridges remaining in Patrick County, maintained by the Patrick County government.History
The Jack's Creek Covered Bridge was designed by Walter G. Weaver of Woolwine and constructed by Charles Vaughan of Buffalo Ridge, made of oak, built to serve Jack's Creek Primitive Baptist Church for which the bridge was named after. A steel beam bridge replaced it in 1932. The Jack's Creek Covered Bridge was widened and received a new roof in 1969 followed by a full restoration by the Virginia Department of Highways in 1974 at a cost of approximately $4,550.00. Every June, the bridge is the site (along with nearby Bob White Covered Bridge) of the Patrick County Covered Bridge Festival.