Jabez Howland House

Jabez Howland House is an historic house at 33 Sandwich Street in Plymouth, Massachusetts.

The house was built in 1667 and purchased by Jabez Howland, son of Mayflower passengers John Howland and Elizabeth Tilley Howland, two of the original Pilgrims. John and Elizabeth Howland lived in Jabez Howland's home after their own house burned. John Howland died in 1674 and Elizabeth lived there until the house was sold in 1680 and Jabez Howland moved to Rhode Island. Elizabeth moved to the home of her daughter, Lydia Browne, in Swansea, where she died in 1687. The Jabez Howland House was owned as a private residence until 1915. Extensive renovations took place in the 1940s. The house was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

The Pilgrim John Howland Society owns and operates the house as a historic house museum that has been restored and decorated with 17th century period furnishings. The house is open for tours from Memorial Day through Columbus Day.

  • Howland House on Thanksgiving 2009

  • ca. 1921 photo of the Howland House before an addition was added to the rear of the house

  • Early postcard of Howland House

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com