Iviswold, also known as The Castle is a house originally constructed in 1869 located in what is now Rutherford, New Jersey. It was placed on the List of Registered Historic Places in New Jersey on November 4, 2004. The house is part of the Rutherford campus of Felician College and currently undergoing renovations.History
The home was built in 1869 by Floyd W. Tomkins who called it Hill House. The home was purchased in 1887 by David Brinkerhoff Ivison who greatly expanded it and gave the home the name Iviswold. The expansion was designed by the architect William Henry Miller. Ivison died in 1903 and The Castle was sold and resold multiple times. During this period the building was used by the Rutherford Union Club. In 1942 Fairleigh Dickinson University was created and held the first classes within Iviswold. As Fairleigh Dickinson University grew it built multiple college buildings around Iviswold. By the late 1980s the college was outgrowing their Rutherford campus. Fairleigh Dickinson University closed their Rutherford campus in 1994 and then sold the campus along with Iviswold to Felician College in 1997. Felician College has spent the past few years restoring The Castle to its original condition. The New Jersey Historic Trust contributed $1,550,000 to the restoration project.Construction
The original home was a two story stone house with a mansard roof. The 1887 remodeling of the house was inspired by the Château de Chaumont located in Loir-et-Cher, France. The remodeling turned the building into a three story turreted mansion with twenty five rooms. Local brownstone was used in the construction of the exterior walls. Balconies, a music room and a porte-cochère were added during this time. In the 1930s, an indoor pool was installed which required a water tower to be built into the structure to supply it. In the 1970s, when Fairleigh Dickinson was using the building for classroom space the college covered up much of the original interior with drop ceilings and partition walls.