Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum

Edit profile
Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum

Coordinates: 50°42′16″N 1°17′26″W / 50.70456°N 1.29057°W / 50.70456; -1.29057

The Isle of Wight Bus & Coach Museum, also referred to as The Isle of Wight Bus Museum, was founded in 1997 in Newport on the Isle of Wight in the United Kingdom. The museum is a registered charity and run completely by volunteers. The vehicle collection is housed in a former grain warehouse on Newport Quay.

Most of the vehicles the museum houses date back to around the 1910's onwards, many having formerly operated on the Isle of Wight. The oldest vehicle housed is a Ryde Pier Tram dating back to the 1889. The first floor of the museum features a photographic archive of island buses together with other memorabilia. This looks out over vehicles below on the ground floor of the museum. There is also a small shop, named 'Just the Ticket' stocking memorabilia such as photos, old timetables, books and videos.

The museum hosts two running days. The October event features many buses from around the country. There is another event in May, which is an 'ex-Island Buses Only' running day.

Current Vehicles which are on display

The following vehicles are owned or loaned to the Museum. Some are privately owned and on display.

  • The Tram - The leading carriage, currently owned by the Isle of Wight Council on loan to the museum
  • DL 5084 No. 11 - A Daimler CK with Dodson B26R bodywork. It was new to The Vectis Bus Co. in 1927. This vehicle is privately owned and awaiting restoration.
  • DDL 50 No.703 - A Bristol K5G with ECW bodywork. It was new to Southern Vectis in 1940.
  • GDL 764 - A Leyland PD2 with Leyland bodywork. It was new to Seaview Services in May 1950. Owned Privately.
  • TDL 564K 864 - A Bristol RELL6G with ECW bodywork. It is commonly known as 'Shanklin's Pony'. It was new to Southern Vectis in 1971 and converted to open-top in 1986.
  • CDL 479C 611 - A Bristol FLF new to Southern Vectis in 1965.
  • FDL 927D - Ex Southern Vectis 806. It was owned by Southern Vectis between 1958 and 1966, before being bought back for use in the 'Heritage Fleet'. When the fleet was disbanded it was loaned to the museum, before being donated in 2001. It is painted in the brown and cream livery of the Enterprise Bus Company, Enterprise being the name of the Museum's newsletter.
  • FDL 676 1950 Bedford OB - Previously owned by Southern Vectis. This vehicle is on loan to the Museum.
  • FLJ 538 908 - A 1940 Bristol K5G. Repatriated from Holland by David Daniels in 2009 and donated to the museum. Restoration work is now well underway.
  • ODL 400 A Bedford SB new to Moss Motor Tours. This vehicle is privately owned.
  • ADL 459B A Bedford SB new to Pauls Tours. Under restoration.
  • SDL 268 563 - A Bristol Lodekka new to Southern Vectis. This vehicle is privately owned.
  • KDL 885F 301 - A Bristol RESH6G with Duple (Northern) ECW body.
  • EDL 657 721 - A Bristol K5G with Eastern Coach Works body. Privately owned.
Vehicles currently stored off site
  • UDL 673S 5066/673 - A Bristol VR new to Southern Vectis. It was donated to the Museum in May 2009 having been last operated with Damory Coaches. This vehicle is stored off site.
  • VDL 264K 264 - A Bedford YRQ with Plaxton body.
  • A700 DDL 700 - A Leyland Olympian with Eastern Coach Works body. Donated to the Museum in 2005 after withdrawal from Wilts & Dorset.
  • GXX 785 004 - An AEC Matador converted for use as a wrecker by Southern Vectis
  • SDL 638J 628 - A 1971 Bristol VRT - Eastern Coach Works, new in 1971. This vehicle is privately owned and not on display in 2010 or 2011. Currently stored off site.
  • PDL 519 - After service with Southern Vectis, the bus was sold to Topdeck Travel and made 20 trips to Nepal & Tibet. In July 2007, after being in the museum for 10 years, the bus was started and successfully put through an MOT and later driven to Dublin and back. Currently with Top-Deck Travel doing reenactment work.
Relocation

By the end of 2010, the museum is planning to relocate and construct a new purpose built unit to house an Island Road Transport Museum. The move is necessary due to the building it currently uses being demolished as part of revelopment of Newport Quay. Currently, the plan is to purchase a two and a half acre area of farmland adjoining Havenstreet Railway, with the new site covering twice the floor area that the current base offers. The plans would require £120,000 to be raised to fund the move. Supporters are being invited to purchase £250 shares in the project with monies being returned if the plan fails. However in addition to funding issues, the field currently forms part of the Isle of Wight AONB, which could lead to a battle for planning consent over redevelopment.

Media

3 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 6 years ago via OpenBuildings.com