India Habitat CentreEdit profile
Coordinates: 28°35′23″N 77°13′30″E / 28.589695°N 77.224906°E / 28.589695; 77.224906 The India Habitat Centre, located in New Delhi, India, was conceived to be a catalyst relationship between individuals and institutions (e.g. NGO's) working in habitat related areas to increase their effectiveness. The architect who designed the building complex was Joseph Allen Stein.List of organisations
Sharing a common concern for habitat, the following organisations have come together to participate in institution-building, evolving a synergy within the India Habitat Centre complex.
- 1. Association of Indian Automobile Manufacturers
- 2. All India Brick & Tile Manufacturers Federation
- 3. All India Housing Development Association
- 4. Building Materials & Technology Promotion Council
- 5. Central Building Research Institute
- 6. Centre for Development Studies & Activities (CDSA)
- 7. Centre for Science & Environment
- 8. Centre for Science & Technology of the Non-Aligned & Other Developing Countries
- 9. Confederation of Indian Industry
- 10. Consultancy Development Centre
- 11. Council for Advancement of People's Action & Rural Technology
- 12. Council of Architecture
- 13. Delhi Management Association
- 14. Delhi Policy Group
- 15. Delhi Urban Art Commission
- 16. Foundation for Universal Responsibility of His Holiness The Dalai Lama
- 17. Housing & Urban Development Corporation Ltd.
- 18. Housing Development Finance Corporation Ltd.
- 19. Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations
- 20. Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency
- 21. Indo-French Centre for the Promotion of Advanced Research
- 22. Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services Ltd.
- 23. Institute of Social Studies Trust
- 24. International Labour Organisation
- 25. MacArthur Foundation
- 26. MCD Slum & JJ Department
- 27. National Foundation for India
- 28. National Capital Region - Planning Board
- 29. National Housing Bank
- 30. National Institute of Design
- 31. National Institute of Urban Affairs
- 32. Population Council
- 33. Research and Information System for the Non-Aligned & Other Developing Countries
- 34. Society for Development Studies
- 35. The Energy and Resources Institute
- 36. University of Pennsylvania Institute for the Advanced Study of India
- 37. Vikram Sarabhai Foundation
It is the centre of contemporary cultural economic, business and social events. The concern for the habitat and its environment works as the functional backbone of the complex. It not only provides an improved working environment to its employee but will also contribute to the urban level functions that a living city requires.
Habitat Centre should be conceived as an ideal physical environment with a range of facilities that maximize the effectiveness of the individuals and institutions, in their holistic support of the habitat. The principal resolve of the centre –“ to restore at every level – environment and ecological – a balanced, harmonious and improved way of life”, is to be reflected in its concept and design.
Several leading corporate entities and nonprofit organizations like The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), Housing & Urban Development Corporation Ltd. (HUDCO), National Housing Bank (NHB), Confederation of Indian Industry (CII), International Labour Organization (ILO), etc. sharing a common concern for the ‘Habitat’, would come together to participate in this exciting venture of institution building. The Habitat Centre would be a home not only to those offices and research organizations but in order to facilitate their interaction, the centre provides a range of facilities like conference venues, exhibition halls, seminar rooms, restaurants and performance venues for cultural activities.
Habitat Centre is conceived to provide a physical environment which would serve as a catalyst for a synergic relationship between individuals and institutions working in diverse habitat related areas and therefore, maximize the total effectiveness.