Hynes Convention CenterEdit profile
The John B. Hynes Veterans Memorial Convention Center located in Boston was built in 1988 from a design by architects Kallmann, McKinnell & Wood. It replaced a previous building, also a convention center, regarded as "ungainly." The 1988 design "attempted to relate in scale and materials to its Back Bay setting, adopting granite and setbacks... The severe gray interior is reminiscent of an early 20th-century German railroad station." The Center is named after former Boston mayor John Hynes.Function as meeting space
The building has 193,000 square feet (17,900 m2) of exhibit space and can accommodate up to four concurrent events. It features 71,600 square feet (6,650 m2) of meeting space with 38 permanent rooms and a 24,500-square-foot (2,280 m2) grand ballroom.Annual occupants
- Anime Boston is one of the events which regularly occupies the Hynes with around 19,000 unique attendees. Since 2005, the convention has grown in size every year.
- Harvard Model Congress will be using the center for all House committees for its 2011 conference.
- First Night Boston has used space at the Hynes each New Year's Eve.
- Harvard Model United Nations has used it for the inaguration ceremonies with thousands of students from all over the world.
- CollegeFest is a back-to-school college marketing event held yearly at the Hynes with around 15,000 attendees.
- Berklee College of Music has a yearly jazz festival/competition, drawing in high school jazz bands from both inside and outside of New England.
The convention center is connected by aerial passageways to a nearby hotel complex and can be reached by public transportation via the Hynes Convention Center station on the MBTA Green Line and, using the passageways, via the Back Bay (MBTA station) station on the Orange Line, commuter rail and Amtrak.Nearby hotels
- Colonnade Hotel Boston is connected underground via the Prudential Center T Stop and Prudential Mall.
- Copley Square Hotel
- Mandarin Oriental
- Hilton Back Bay
- Sheraton Boston is directly connected to the convention center.
- Marriott Copley Place is connected to the convention center via the Copley Place Mall.
- Westin Copley Place is connected to the convention center via the Copley Place Mall.