Hydraulic engine house, Bristol HarbourEdit profile
The Hydraulic engine house is part of the "Underfall Yard" in Bristol Harbour in Bristol, England.
The octagonal brick and terracotta chimney of the engine house dates from 1888, and is grade II* listed, as is the hydraulic engine house itself. It replaced the original pumping house which is now The Pump House public house. It is built of red brick with a slate roof and originally contained two steam engines. These were replaced in 1907 by the current machines from Fullerton, Hodgart and Barclay of Paisley. It powers the docks' hydraulic system of cranes, bridges and locks.
The tower houses a hydraulic accumulator which stores the hydraulic energy ensuring a smooth delivery of pressure and meaning that the pumps do not need to be running the whole time. The external accumulator was added about 1920. The water is pumped from the harbour into a header tank and then fed by gravity to the pumps. The working pressure is 750 lbs/square inch.
Fullerton, Hodgart and Barclay engine
External Hydraulic accumulator