Hyderabad Public SchoolEdit profile
The Hyderabad Public School, Begumpet or HPS, Begumpet, is a (privately funded)|public school]] in Hyderabad in the Indian state of Andhra Pradesh.
It was established in 1923 as a school for the members of the Indian aristocracy. It is situated on a160-acre (0.65 km2) campus with buildings ranging from the modern to Qutub Shahi architecture in architectural styles.
Children are schooled from the primary stage through to the 12th standard (age 3 to age 17). The school is affiliated to the Council for the Indian School Certification Examinations (ICSE, ISC). Its administrative body is the Hyderabad Public School Society.
The school has four houses - Nagarjuna, Vijaynagar, Takshashila and Nalanda. Students are divided into these house and participate in inter-house competitions.Prefectorial system
The school has an age-old prefectorial system. Each year, a prefectorial body is set up to help proper functioning of the school. The board consists of the head boy and head girl at the top with two deputy head boys and one deputy head girl to assist them. They lead a large group of prefects, including high post holders like the school games captains, the house captains and captains of other activities, along with the other prefects. The students of class 12 hold the majority of the posts, but students of class 11 are given a number of posts, usually 5 to 9 posts. The students are nominated to the posts after a set of meetings among the principal, vice-principal, senior teachers and the physical training department.
A new system was introduced in the academic year 2009-2010 where all students of classes 11 and 12 are given the choice to nominate themselves for posts, thus making the 11th class students eligible to apply for higher posts. After the nominations, the principal and his team go through the apllications and make a probable list of the postings. After this, there is a speech given by the students aiming at top posts like the head boy, the head girl and the deputy posts, following which there would be a voting by the other students on who is most eligible for these posts.
Finally, the principal meets the applicants personally and then, along with his body of senior teachers, chooses the positions. The post holders are announced in a special assembly.
- Asher Noria, World Junior Double Trap Shooting Champion
- Kiran Kumar Reddy, 16th Chief Minister, Andhra Pradesh, India
- Harsha Bhogle, journalist and cricket commentator
- Akkineni Nagarjuna, actor
- Asaduddin Owaisi , M.P.(Hyderabad), President of A.I.M.I.M.
- Shantanu Narayen, Chief Executive Officer, Adobe Systems
- Satya Nadella, President, Server and Tools Business, Microsoft Corporation
- Talat Aziz, Ghazal singer
- Prem Watsa, Chairman, CEO, Fairfax Financial Holdings, Canada
- Yarlagadda Sumanth Kumar, actor
- Nikhil Chinappa, MTV VJ
- RaNa Daggubati, actor
- YS Jagan Mohan Reddy, Member of Parliament, Pulivendula
- Ram Charan Tej, actor
- Lord Karan Faridoon Bilimoria, Baron Bilimoria, Chairman, Cobra Beer
- Bapi Raju Kanumuri, Member of Parliament (Narasapuram), Lok Sabha
- G. Vivek, Member of Parliament (Peddapalli, Karimnagar Dist, AP), Lok Sabha
- Pallam Raju, Minister of State in the Ministry of Defence, M.P.(Kakinada), Lok Sabha
- Venkatapathi Raju, cricketer, played for Hyderabad and India
- P.Abhinav, cricketer and actor