Hunsecker's Mill Covered BridgeEdit profile
Hunsecker's Mill Covered Bridge is a covered bridge located in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, United States. The bridge has a single span, wooden, double Burr arch trusses design. The bridge, which spans the Conestoga River, is 180 feet (54.9 m) long, making it the longest single span covered bridge in the county.
The bridge's WGCB Number is 38-36-06. Unlike most historic covered bridges in the county, it is not listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is located at 40°5′13.8″N 76°14′51″W / 40.087167°N 76.2475°W / 40.087167; -76.2475 (40.08717, -76.24750). The bridge is approximately one mile southeast of Pennsylvania route 272 and is 0.5 miles (0.8 km) north of Pennsylvania Route 23 off Mondale Road on Hunsecker Road, just west of the community of Hunsecker. The bridge divides the road on which it is upon into Hunsecker Road (East) in Upper Leacock Township and Hunsicker Road (West) in Manheim Township.History
The original bridge was built in 1843 by John Russell at a cost of $1,988. It was and is a double Burr Arch truss system. It has been swept away in flooding numerous times, most recently in 1972 after Hurricane Agnes. Waters lifted the original structure off its abutments and carried it downstream. In 1973, following destruction from the hurricane, it was rebuilt at a cost of $321,302.Note: Its length of 180 feet makes it the longest single-span covered bridge in the county.Dimensions
- Length: 180 feet (54.9 m) total length
- Width: 15 feet (4.6 m) total width
- Overhead clearance: 13 feet 10 inches (4.2 m)