Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Powerhouse

Edit profile
Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Powerhouse

The Hudson and Manhattan Railroad Powerhouse, also known as the Jersey City Powerhouse in Jersey City, New Jersey was built in 1908. The powerhouse made possible the subway system between New Jersey and New York for the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad (which became PATH in 1963). The powerhouse was closed in 1929 and used as a storage place for railroad equipment. In the 1990s, the building was cited by Preservation New Jersey as one of the state's ten most endangered historic sites. The powerhouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on November 23, 2001. It is located near the Harborside Financial Center and Harsimus Cove on the Hudson River waterfront in an area undergoing much redevelopment. Efforts to stabilize the powerhouse from further deterioration began July 2009 and will continue through 2010.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com