Side view of the Howard & Jennings pump factory
Howard & Jennings Pump FactoryEdit profile
Believed to be the first Charles Colton building, the Howard & Jennings Pump Factory was built in 1879. In High Victorian Gothic style, its brick front is surmounted by twin gables and ornamented with gargoyles and metal sunflowers, a motif repeated in the pressed concrete panel set in the center of the wall. Despite its fanciful exterior the building was built to industrial standards and occupied by the original owners for many years. In 1974 it was damaged in a fire that destroyed the adjacent building, and was purchased by Nicholas Colella. The exterior was restored, and the interior gutted and repurposed as a jewelry gallery and residence.