Houston County Courthouse and JailEdit profile
The Houston County Courthouse and Jail, located at 304 Marshall Street South in Caledonia, Houston County in the U.S. state of Minnesota consists of a Romanesque stone courthouse featuring a prominent center tower, built in 1883 and Italianate stone jail and sheriff residence built in 1875. Both were designed by C. G. Maybury & Son of Winona.
In the late nineteenth century there was considerable disagreement about the location of the Houston County seat. In 1874, Caledonia was named and construction soon began on the jail and sheriff's residence. By 1882 planning began on the now-historic courthouse. Construction was by Noonan and Stellwager at a cost of $60,000, and the building was completed in 1885. Taxpayers criticized the expense of ornamental carpentry and five chandeliers, while county taxes doubled. The current building includes additions built in 1965 and 1977.
In 2010, construction began on a new justice center next to the old courthouse. It will replace the old jail.