Hotel StevensonEdit profile
The Milner Arms Apartments originally known as the Hotel Stevenson is a high rise building located at 40 Davenport in Detroit, Michigan; it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997. It is adjacent to, but not part of, the Cass-Davenport Historic District.History
Early in the 20th century, Charles Hugh Stevenson, his brother, and his father-in-law founded the Davenport Realty Company. Stevenson was a writer and lawyer and was internationally recognized for work in the hotel industry.
In 1913, the Davenport Realty Company built the Hotel Stevenson (named for Charles Hugh Stevenson), which was designed to house the influx of male, transient, workers who came to Detroit to work in the booming auto industry. The hotel architect was Joseph P. Jogerst. The structure was designed as an apartment hotel, offering primarily efficiency and one bedroom units, rather than the two to four-room suites contained in typical apartment buildings of the time.