Hotel Newfoundland
Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland is a luxury hotel in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. The original Newfoundland Hotel, an 8-storey brick structure, was opened in 1926 in St. John's. The hotel was owned and operated by the Newfoundland Hotel Facilities, Ltd. Ownership of the hotel was transferred to the Canadian National Railway hotel division in 1949 following Confederation. From 1939 to 1949, the 6th floor served as home and studios for Broadcasting Corporation of Newfoundland. The current site was formerly Fort William, a British Army base in the 17th Century. In the early 1960s the hotel was renamed Hotel Newfoundland due to CN's new policy of making names more bilingual. Canadian National Hotels built the current hotel in 1982 on an adjacent site as a replacement for the original Newfoundland Hotel. The building was named Hotel Newfoundland and is an 8-storey glass and concrete building designed by architect George S. Burman. The hotel's ownership was transferred to Canadian Pacific Hotels in 1988 after that company acquired the Canadian National Hotels chain. With the Break up of Canadian Pacific Limited in 2001, CP Hotels bought Fairmont Hotels and Resorts and took on that smaller company's name. In 2008, St. John's based Fortis Inc. properties bought the Newfoundland Hotel and converted it to the Sheraton Hotel Newfoundland in 2009.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via