Hotel Green
The Hotel Green, built in 1903 in Pasadena, California was home to both the Tournament of Roses and the Valley Hunt Club. The hotel was built by George Gill Green and was supplemented by two later buildings, creating a complex of three structures. Hotel Green, by Los Angeles-based architect Frederick Roehrig, was the first of the three buildings; it was published in the periodical The Western Architect in December 1905. Castle Green was the second building in the complex and was originally known as the "Central Annex." By 1924 the hotel was owned by a group of investors who divided the hotel complex into three parts. The Central Annex was subdivided into fifty residential apartments and renamed the Castle Green. The Castle Green is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the State Historic Register, and the City of Pasadena's list of Historic Places.

The Castle Green Apartments that stand on Raymond Avenue in historic old town Pasadena were originally built in 1887 and officially opened to the public in 1889, however this wasn't the first portion of the Green Empire. The first portion of the hotel complex that sits on the south east corner of Raymond Avenue and Green Street with its hand cut granite facing, bay windows and gorgeous retail space, was known as the Webster Hotel. Mr. Webster was nearly bankrupt while trying to finish his lavish hotel in time for its opening. It opened its doors to the public in the 1880s and was only open a few months before he sold it to Mr. Green who finished the construction and changed its name to the Hotel Green. Green soon felt the need for another building as a sort of annex to house the hundreds of guests who came to the resort town of Pasadena. Luckily, the second building could be built near the railroad depot and property was available. Soon construction was underway and the six story complex was built of wood. Pasadena was one of the most famous resort communities in Southern California during these times and a place for those suffering from Tuberculosis. Doctors advised their patients to dry and warmer climates and Pasadena became a boom town for Snowbirds, those people who desired a warmer climate during the harsh winters back east. The second building stood on the south east corner of Raymond Avenue and Green Street and was a huge success when it opened its doors in the mid 1870's. Soon Green saw the advantage of building a more permanent residence within his hotel empire and a third building was designed and soon underway in 1887 as apartments where those who wished too, could rent apartments for a week or a year, or longer. The building has distinctive exterior elements in the Mediterranean Revival style, and several interior spaces in the Moorish Revival style. It was decided that a bridge could be built over Raymond Avenue to annex the Castle Green Apartments or the new Hotel by visitors, or long renting guests with easier access between the two buildings. The Castle Green Apartments were built of concrete and rebar for sturdier construction. Both had large ball rooms and dining rooms, a gentleman's smoking salon, a woman's salon, lovely foyers, crystal chandeliers, a grand staircase in cararra marble and the finest wrought and cast iron made for each of the buildings. By 1900, Pasadena had Fourteen Resort Hotels, but the Hotel Green Complex was one of the most famous and well attended. Sitting across the street from Central Park with its rose gardens, fountains, lovely paths, a zoo, Lion and Alligator and Ostrich Farms and a place for both locals and visitors to enjoy themselves. Unfortunately in the mid 1920's, the 2nd Hotel built of wood, suffered a fire when a guest fell asleep with a lit cigar in his hands, catching the draped and furniture on fire in the first floor smoking parlor. Evidence of the damage can still be seen on the square columns at the top where the plaster melted from the high heat and the water from the firehoses. The building was heavily damaged and only a few people died. The building sat derelict until the 1935 Long Beach Earthquake, which brought more of it down and it was decided to tear the wooden building down completely. The only original portion sits on the corner facing Green Street and is used as the Christmas Tree Room for the Decorating store Stats who've owned the building since the 1960s. A hidden tunnel runs from the old wooden Hotel Green under Raymond Avenus and connects to the earliest portion of the hotel and the apartments.

Present day
Today, the Castle Green Apartments are one of the oldest standing historic landmarks in Los Angeles County, and have many of the original features from its construction including the oldest wrought iron elevator on the west coast, gorgeous plaster. moldings, hand carved fireplace mantles, grills and wood moldings, and original lighting They were turned into Condominiums in later years and are open to the public twice a year. The third portion to the Green Complex Castle was built in the Spanish and Moorish style complete with crenelations, hand-painted tiles, scallops, balconies, various sizes and shapes of windows and curved onion shaped domes over its towers, a penthouse and roof garden with views of Mount Wilson to the north and a birdseye view of the entire city. It was the home to the Valley Hunt Club who founded the Tournament of Roses Parade, has been used in hundreds of film and television shoots. Select portions of the Castle can be rented for weddings, private parties and events.

Building Activity

  • Nadezhda Nikolova
    Nadezhda Nikolova activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via
  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via