Hospital Fernández

The Fernández Hospital (Hospital General de Agudos Dr. Juan A. Fernández) is a public hospital in the Palermo section of Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Originally founded in 1888 as the Municipal Syphillis Hospital, it served what at the time was one of the city's seedier neighborhoods, and was originally housed in a drab, one-story building removed from view. Operating during a socio-economic boom in Argentina, the facility was reestablished as the Hospital of the North in 1893, and began serving the general public; in 1904, it was renamed in honor of Dr. Juan Antonio Fernández (1786 – 1855), the first Dean of the University of Buenos Aires School of Medicine, as well as founder of the National Academy of Medicine.

The increasing demand for the facility, which prompted numerous changes and additions to the building, prompted the demolition of the older structures in favor of an 11-story, Rationalist building. Inaugurated in 1943, the new building houses a staff of 1,600 doctors and nurses, and is operated by the Municipal Government of Buenos Aires.

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator
  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated a digital reference and added a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com