Horston CastleEdit profile
Horston Castle (sometimes spelt Horeston) is situated about 1 mile to the south of the village of Horsley, some 5 miles north of the English city of Derby ( grid reference SK375432). The ruinous site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument but as at 2008, is a Building at Risk. It was a Norman motte and bailey castle which was founded by Ralph de Buron. In the 1200s King John built a stone castle, adding a keep, a chapel, a gatehouse and a barbican. In 1514 it was granted by Henry VIII to the Duke of Norfolk as a reward for services against the Scots. Later it came into the possession of the Stanhope family. The castle is ruined today, damaged by extensive quarrying. There are visible remains of the keep although this is now largely overgrown.