Horseshoe BridgeEdit profile
The Horseshoe Bridge is a traffic bridge located in the central business district of the city of Perth, Western Australia. The bridge runs along William Street and crosses over the Fremantle to Perth railway line, at the western end of Perth Train Station. The area to the west of the bridge was previously a large siding area including good sheds and siding for rolling stock storage. In the past there were also businesses under the southern section, including book shops and record shops. It was constructed in 1903 to reduce train-induced traffic congestion in William Street. The bridge's name is derived from its shape: a horseshoe. A horseshoe design was selected to allow minimal impact on surrounding streets in the crowded urban environment. It features swan pedestal lamps on top of pillars at each end, which were specifically designed for the bridge project. The bridge enjoys heritage recognition, including listings on the Heritage Council’s State Register of Heritage Places, the Register of the National Estate, City of Perth’s Municipal Inventory and the National Trust. The bridge was closed on November 30, 2009 for restoration and conversion to two-way traffic. It was expected to remain closed for four months. The bridge was reopened with two-way traffic on June 26, 2010, just under three months more than originally expected.