Hopetoun MonumentEdit profile
The Hopetoun Monument is a monument in the Garleton Hills, near Camptoun, East Lothian, Scotland. It is 95 feet (29 m) tall. Situated on Byres Hill near Haddington, the monument was erected in 1824 in memory of John Hope, 4th Earl of Hopetoun (1765–1823). The foundation stone was laid on May 3, 1824. There is an inscription on the monument which states:
The monument is often referred to as the Garleton Monument or the "Galla Monument" by locals, after Garleton Farm on Byres Hill. The viewing platform at the top is reached by 132 steps of a dark, narrow, spiral staircase, and offers views of the Firth of Forth and the surrounding countryside. The monument is a category B listed building. A similar monument to the 4th Earl of Hopetoun stands on Mount Hill in Fife, and was built in 1826.