Hope Rosenwald School
The Hope Rosenwald School, also known as Hope School, is a former school at 1971 Hope Station Road near Pomaria, South Carolina. As a Rosenwald School, it served rural African-American children in the early 20th century.

History
James Haskell Hope, the South Carolina Superintendent of Education from 1922 to 1945, sold more than 2 acres (8,100 m 2) of his land for the "gift-like' price of $5 to the Trustees of School District No. 60 for Newberry County, South Carolina in 1925. Donations of $2,200 were raised. Of the private donations, $600 came from African Americans, and $400 from white Americans. State and local government contributed $1,200. The Rosenwald Fund gave $700. The building is based on the Rosenwald Two-Teacher Community School, Floor Plan No. 20. This simple design has elements of Colonial Revival architecture. The building has a wooden frame structure, a brick foundation, and a corrugated metal roof. It is next to St. Paul AME Church. Two teachers worked in the schoolhouse: one led the first, second, and third grades; another taught the fourth, fifth, and sixth. The school was closed in 1954 with the consolidation of public schools. There were still alumni of the school living in or near Pomaria as of January 2007. Additional information and photographs are available from the South Carolina Department of Archives and History. They also have information on Rosenwald Schools in South Carolina.

Hope School Community Center, Inc.
On April 20, 2005, the Hope school was registered with the South Carolina Secretary of State as a non-profit organization as "Hope School Community Center, Inc." The organization's mission is to supply the needs of the community by administering programs that will have a positive impact on the quality of life for community residents.

Building Activity

  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create_many
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com