Holy Trinity Church, Runcorn
Holy Trinity Church in Runcorn, Cheshire, England ( grid reference SJ516831 ). It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester and the deanery of Frodsham. Its benefice is combined with that of All Saints, Runcorn.

The church was built in 1838 as an evangelical alternative to the parish church of Runcorn. The cost was met by public subscription, with John and Thomas Johnson, soap and alkali manufacturers, being the principal subscribers. It was designed by Joseph Hartley, a local architect, and the church was built by William Rigby, a local builder. The original chancel was short and a longer chancel was added in 1857.

The church is built in red sandstone with a slate roof. Its plan consists of a west tower which is partly embraced, a five- bay nave and a chancel. The main entrance is through a door on the west face of the tower. Above this is a three- lancet window and paired louvred bell-openings. The summit has pyramid pinnacles and a crenellated parapet. The reredos is made from marble. The altar and pulpit are oak, the latter being on a stone base. At the west end is a wooden gallery on round cast iron columns. The three- manual organ dates from 1908 and its building was assisted by a grant from Andrew Carnegie.


2 photos

Building Activity

  • OpenBuildings
    OpenBuildings updated 9 media and uploaded a media file
    Cheshire UK location map
    about 4 years ago via OpenBuildings.com
  • Georgi Sokolov
    Georgi Sokolov activity.buildings_person.create
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com