Holy Trinity Church, Hull
Holy Trinity Church is an Anglican parish church in the centre of Kingston upon Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England.

History
It is the largest parish church in England when floor area is the measurement for comparison. The church dates back to about 1300 and contains what is widely acknowledged to be some of the finest mediæval brick-work in the country, particularly in the transepts. Holy Trinity Church is now a Grade I listed building. Holy Trinity Church is one of nineteen members of the Greater Churches Group. William Wilberforce, who led the parliamentary campaign against the slave trade, was baptised in Holy Trinity Church.

List of vicars
  • 1326 Robert de Marton
  • 1345 Peter de Aslaksby
  • Peter de Walton
  • 1349 Thomas de Baynbriggs
  • 1349 Robert de Thornton
  • 1362 John de Hurtheworth
  • 1364 Richard Lestebury
  • John Stayngreve
  • 1391 Richard Marke
  • 1400 John de Barton
  • 1416 Thomas de Esyngwald
  • 1420 Thomas Bywell
  • 1433 Thomas de Bewyk
  • 1444 Thomas Delyngton
  • 1455 John Harewode
  • 1467 William Meryngton
  • 1468 John Yolton
  • 1492 Robert Hedlam
  • 1503 James Cokerell
  • 1519 George Dent
  • 1522 Thomas Logan
  • 1538 William Peres
  • 1557 Thomas Fugall
  • 1561 Melchior Smyth
  • 1591 Theophilus Smyth
  • 1615 Richard Perrott
  • 1642 William Styles
  • 1689 Robert Banks
  • 1715 John Wilkinson
  • 1715 Charles Mace
  • 1721 William Mason
  • 1753 Arthur Robinson
  • 1783 Thomas Clarke
  • 1797 Joseph Milner
  • 1797 John Healey Bromby
  • 1867 Richard England Brooke
  • 1875 Joseph M'Cormick
  • 1894 John William Mills
  • 1895 Joshua Hughes-Games
  • 1904 Arthur Blackwell Goulburn Lillingston
  • 1914 Louis George Buchanan
  • 1924 Cecil Francis Ayerst
  • 1927 William Seldon Morgan
  • 1937 Frederick Boreham
  • 1947 Leslie Oldfield Kenyon
  • 1956 Reginald Iliff
  • 1967 Gerald Bernard Bridgman
  • 1988 John Watson Waller
  • 2002 James Oliphant Forrester
  • 2010 Dr Neal Duncan Barnes


Organ
The organ is a large four manual instrument. The oldest parts of the organ date from 1622 by the builder John Raper. There was further work in 1756 and 1758 by John Snetzler and 1788 by Ryley. Forster and Andrews worked on the organ in 1845, 1854, 1876, 1900 and 1908, with John Compton providing the last restoration in 1938. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register

Organists
  • Mr. Baker ???? - 1715
  • George Smith 1715 - 1717
  • Musgrave Heighinton 1717 - 1720 (later organist of St Nicholas Church, Great Yarmouth)
  • William Avison 1720 - 1751
  • Matthias Horden 1751 - 1769 (later organist of Beverley Minster)
  • John Hudson 1768 - 1787
  • Thomas Hawdon 1787 - 1789
  • George Lambert 1789 - 1838
  • George James Skelton 1838 - 1851 - 1868
  • Thomas Craddock 1868 - 1875
  • G.E. Jackman 1875 - 1881
  • Fred K. Bentley 1881 - 1921 - 1929
  • Norman Ewart Strafford ca. 1949-50
  • Peter Goodman 1951 - 1961 (previously organist of Guildford Cathedral)
  • Ronald Arthur Styles 1961 - 1977
  • Julian Savory
  • Roland Dee 2001
  • Paul Derrett and Serena Derrett 2005 -
  • Serena Derrett - Director of Music 2007
  • Mark Keith - Organist 2007


Building Activity

  • removed a media
    about 5 years ago via OpenBuildings.com