Holy Trinity Church, Coverham
Holy Trinity Church, Coverham, is a redundant Anglican church in the village of Coverham, North Yorkshire, England ( grid reference SE 103 863 ). It has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II* listed building, and is under the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. The church stands near the ruins of the Premonstratensian Coverham Abbey, and not far from the River Cover.

History
The church dates from the 13th century, the nave and the south wall of the chancel probably being built at this time. It is thought that the south aisle was added during the following century, and the west tower was built in the 15th century. Restorations were carried out in 1854 and 1878. Holy Trinity was declared redundant on 1 September 1985, and was vested in the Trust on 10 June 1987.

Architecture

Exterior
Holy Trinity is constructed in stone rubble, with stone slate roofs. Its plan consists of a nave with a south aisle and a south porch, a chancel with a north vestry, and a west tower. The tower is in three stages and has diagonal buttresses. Its lowest stage has a three-light west window, in the middle stage is a light vent on the south side, and the top stage has a two-light bell opening on each side. At the summit is an embattled parapet with crocketted finials on the corners. The east window in the chancel has three lights and is in Perpendicular style. In the south wall of the chancel are a square-headed two-light window and two lancet windows. On its north wall is the vestry and a pointed two-light window. The north wall of the nave has four pointed two-light windows. The south wall of the aisle has three pointed two-light windows and a porch. The east window in the aisle is round-headed with three lights. On the gables of the nave, chancel and porch are crosses. Over the south doorway is a lintel consisting of a re-used cross shaft dating from the Anglo-Saxon era.

Interior
Inside the church is a four- bay arcade with pointed arches supported by octagonal columns without bases or capitals. There is an ogee-headed piscina in the south chancel wall, and a simple piscina in the wall of the south aisle. The church is floored with Victorian encaustic tiles. In the windows of the south aisle are small shields in painted glass dating possibly from the medieval period. The ring consists of three bells, the oldest being cast in 1632 by William Oldfield, and the other two in 1770 by Pack and Chapman at the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. The church plate includes a cup, a paten and a flagon dated 1816, and the parish registers begin in 1707.