Holy Trinity Church, Bickerton

Edit profile
Holy Trinity Church, Bickerton
Holy Trinity Church, Bickerton stands to the north of the village of Bickerton, Cheshire, England. The church has been designated by English Heritage as a Grade II listed building. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Chester, the archdeaconry of Chester, and the deanery of Malpas. Its benefice is combined with those of St Wenefrede's Church, Bickley, St John's Church, Burwardsley and All Saints Church, Harthill.

The church was built as a chapel of ease to St Oswald's Church, Malpas in 1839 and was designed by the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe. It became a separate parish church in 1869. A chancel was added in 1875”“76 and a baptistry in 1911.


The church is built in red sandstone with a slate roof. Its plan consists of a three- bay nave, a single-bay chancel and a small octagonal west baptistry. The vestry projection to the north and the organ chamber to the south give the church a cruciform plan. The baptistry has a pyramidal roof.

The reredos is made of panelled oak. Also in oak are the pulpit, the organ case and the lectern. The octagonal font is in stone. On the nave walls are memorials in alabaster to former vicars of the church. The stained glass in the baptistry is by Kempe and is dated around 1904. The two- manual organ was built by P. Conacher and Company of Huddersfield.