Holborn Viaduct

Holborn Viaduct is a bridge in London and the name of the street which crosses it (which is a section of the A40). It links Holborn, via Holborn Circus, with Newgate Street in the City of London, passing over Farringdon Street and the now subterranean River Fleet.

It was built between 1863 and 1869, and cost over two million pounds to complete. It spanned the steep-sided Holborn Hill and over the River Fleet valley. City Surveyor William Haywood was the architect and it was opened by Queen Victoria at the same time as Blackfriars Bridge.

Four statues on the parapets represent Commerce and Agriculture on the south side, both by sculptor Henry Bursill, and Science and Fine Arts on the north side, both by the sculpture firm of Farmer & Brindley. Staircases provide pedestrian access from the bridge to Farringdon Street.

Nearby was the Holborn Viaduct station, now replaced by the City Thameslink station.