Hockey Hall of Fame
The Hockey Hall of Fame (Temple de la renommée du hockey in French) is located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Dedicated to the history of ice hockey, it is both a museum and a hall of fame. It holds exhibits about players, teams, National Hockey League (NHL) records, memorabilia and NHL trophies, including the Stanley Cup. Originally in Kingston, Ontario, the Hockey Hall of Fame was first established in 1943 under the leadership of James T. Sutherland. The first class of honoured members was inducted in 1945, before the Hall of Fame had a permanent location. It moved to Toronto in 1958 after the NHL withdrew its support for the Kingston location. Its first permanent building opened at Exhibition Place in 1961. In 1993, the Hall was relocated to a former Bank of Montreal building in downtown Toronto, where it is presently located.
 
      By 1986, the Hall of Fame was running out of room in its existing facilities and the Board of Directors decided that a new home was needed.The Exhibition Place building closed in 1992. Development of the new location, the former Bank of Montreal at the corner of Yonge and Front Streets in Toronto, began soon after. The building, now part of Brookfield Place, was designed by Frank Darling and S. George Curry. The new Hockey Hall of Fame officially opened on June 18, 1993.The new location has 4,700 m2 (50,600 sq ft) of exhibition space, seven times larger than that of the old facility.The Hockey Hall of Fame now hosts more than 300,000 visitors each year.

Media

8 photos

Building Activity

  • updated a digital reference
    about 5 years ago via Annotator