Hirschholm Palace
Hirschholm Palace, also known as Hørsholm Palace, was a royal palace located in present-day Hørsholm municipality just north of Copenhagen, Denmark. It was rebuilt was rebuilt in the Baroque style in the 1740s and, one of the finest buildings of its time, it became known as the " Versailles of the North". It developed a notorious reputation in connection with its role in the affair between Johann Friedrich Struensee and Queen Caroline Mathilda in the 1770s. After that it fell into despair and was demolished in 1819-13. The palace was designed by Lauritz de Thurah for King Christian VI and his consort Queen Sophie Magdalene, and was intended as their summer residence.

History

Early history
Hirschholm Paæace was built on a site that had been used since the Middle Ages. From around 1100 there was a fortification at site known as Hørningsholm. In 1391 the estate became crown land when Queen Margrete I took possession of the property. At the end of the 1500s Frederik II and Christian IV built a small royal hunting castle ( jagtslot) on the site. The estate, which covered a large area (the present day municipalities of Hørsholm, Karlebo, Birkerød and a part of Allerød) was called the Noble Estate of Hørsholm ( adelsgodset Hørsholm), and was endowed to various noblemen and members of the royal court. By the middle of the 1600s a royal tradition had developed whereby the ruling king bestowed Hørsholm Palace to his consort, and it was used as a summer residence. The estate was now being driven directly by the royal house, and income went to the Queen. Frederick IV’s consort Queen Louise owned Hørsholm Palace between 1700 and 1721. She had it modernised and added a number of farm buildings to the estate..

The Baroque Palace
The de Thurah-designed baroque palace was completed in 1744, and was one of the most impressive building works of that period. It was referred to as "The Versailles of the North". When the king died in 1746 it became Sophie Magdalene’s residence as Queen Dowager. She carried out a number of change on the estate that pointed towards the agricultural reforms that would come to play a big role in the country during the coming decades. Thurah’s drawings of the palace were published in Den Danske Vitruvius in 1746-1749. The Dowager Queen died in 1770, and the palace was taken over by the schizophrenic King Christian VII who used it as a summer residence for his family and court. On June 17, 1771 the royal family and court took summer residence at the Palace, and on July 7 Caroline Mathilde gave birth to her second child, Princess Louise Augusta, whose father was almost certainly Struensee. That summer has come to be referred to as the "Hirschholm Summer" in Danish history. After that summer, and after the arrest of Struensee and the Queen on January 17, 1772, and the subsequent execution of Struensee, and the banishment and imprisonment of the Queen, the palace stood empty until 1810. At that time Frederik VI had the now dilapidated palace torn down for use as build materials for the rebuilding of Christiansborg Palace, which had burned to the ground in the fire of 1794.

The site today
In 1822-1823 a little church designed by architect Christian Frederik Hansen was built on the spot. The park surrounding the church, which is located on a small island in a lake, still bears evidence of the original palace garden. A number of the farm buildings Louise had built in the early 1800s still exist. The Hørsholm Local Museum has a permanent exhibit about the palace, the royal affair and its consequences.